What should I do if I get into a motor vehicle accident?

Q: What should I do if I get into a motor vehicle accident?

A: When accidents are serious, your first call needs to be to 911. The operator will assist
you with bringing the necessary first responders—police, ambulance, or fire. If the
accident is not serious enough for the police to attend, you must make sure to document
the accident carefully. If it is safe to do so, try to take pictures of the cars involved before they are moved
or towed. Make sure to get the driver’s licence and insurance information from the other driver. If there are
witnesses, you should get their names and contact information. If you have a camera on your phone take
good pictures of all documents that you are recording.

In this digital age, it is easy and reliable to document the accident by taking pictures. This will help you
remember things that you might otherwise forget. While it can be hard to write down another person’s
insurance details, it is easy to take a picture of those insurance papers. You will need to report the accident
to your insurance company and if you have documented the accident well, this is much easier. If you have
questions or concerns about your legal rights and your obligations, contact a lawyer who deals with car
accidents. Get good legal advice.